Three years ago, I broke free from being broke. I was 26 at the time and was worth as much then as the day I was born back in 1984. I decided that 26 years was enough time to learn that I didn’t want to be broke anymore. I knew what I needed to know. I knew growing your wealth meant:
- Our culture wants me to be broke.
- No one else will look after my money but me.
- Friends and family will encourage me to spend my money and buy nice things.
- Life is packed full of unexpected, expensive things that I’ll have to pay for.
- If I have kids, their college will be expensive.
- My income is my biggest wealth building tool.
- I never want to borrow money again.
- Being broke brings me stress and anxiety.
- I won’t be at my job forever.